Sunday, September 20, 2015

Fainting II

How does that saying go?
"Misery loves company."


That sounds awfully selfish. But there is also truth to it. I wouldn't have wished for the great man of God, Hudson Taylor, to go through the experience described below. But I am grateful for his honesty about his humanity. And his example of not fretting over his weakness and inability -- not trying to always "do"-- but just resting and trusting like a little child.


"Hudson Taylor was so feeble in the closing months of his life that he wrote a dear friend: 'I am so weak I cannot write; I cannot read my Bible; I cannot even pray.  I can only lie still in God's arms like a little child, and trust.'


"This wondrous man of God with all his spiritual power came to a place of physical suffering and weakness where he could only lie still and trust. 
"And that is all God asks of you, His dear child, when you grow faint in the fierce fires of affliction.  Do not try to be strong.  Just be still and know that He is God, and will sustain you, and bring you through."

May 10th - Streams in the Desert compiled by Mrs. Chas. E. Cowman

1 comment:

  1. Streams in the Desert is my all time favorite devotional. A friend left it on the bedside table the night after I had buried my husband at 46 years old. 24 years later I will always be grateful for this incredible gift. The book is falling apart but I can't part with it for a new one.


    ReplyDelete