Saturday, June 5, 2021

The School of Pain


"IN SCHOOL.

"I used to go to a bright school
Where Youth and Frolic taught in turn;
But idle scholar that I was,
I liked to play, I would not learn;
So the Great Teacher did ordain
That I should try the School of Pain.

"One of the infant class I am
With little, easy lessons, set
In a great book; the higher class
Have harder ones than I, and yet
I find mine hard, and can't restrain
My tears while studying thus with Pain.

"There are two Teachers in the school,
One has a gentle voice and low,
And smiles upon her scholars, as
She softly passes to and fro.
Her name is Love; 'tis very plain
She shuns the sharper teacher, Pain.

"Or so I sometimes think; and then,
At other times, they meet and kiss,
And look so strangely like, that I
Am puzzled to tell how it is,
Or whence the change which makes it vain
To guess if it be—Love or Pain.


"They tell me if I study well,

And learn my lessons, I shall be
Moved upward to that higher class
Where dear Love teaches constantly;
And I work hard, in hopes to gain
Reward, and get away from Pain.

"Yet Pain is sometimes kind, and helps
Me on when I am very dull;
I thank him often in my heart;
But Love is far more beautiful;
Under her tender, gentle reign
I must learn faster than of Pain.

"So I will do my very best,
Nor chide the clock, nor call it slow;
That when the Teacher calls me up
To see if I am fit to go,
I may to Love's high class attain,
And bid a sweet good-by to Pain."

- Susan Coolidge in "What Katy Did"


Elsa and I first discovered this book during our early years in the school of pain and weakness. It is an encouragement (and entertainment) every time we read it. LibriVox.org has three free audiobook versions from which to choose as well as several more books in the series. Though this first Katy book is the best!


2 comments:

  1. Which version on LibriVox is your favourite?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I sometimes like variety when I re-listen, so I've heard two of them so far. When I first listened, I think the only version available was the group (collaborative) project. Then I tried the dramatic reading, which I enjoyed. But I usually really enjoy the reader of Version 2 as well (Karen Savage), so that would a good one if you prefer not to hear a variety of voices in one book.

      Delete