Saturday, August 11, 2018

Summertime Preserving

I have already shown Dad's method of preserving cucumbers as fermented dill pickles. Some time in the winter he will ferment jars full of our cabbage for year-round sauerkraut. Mom does some canning as well. But in the summer we mainly freeze our vegetables, such as this shredded zucchini.



On the first day home from the lake there was a large harvest. We took some of it outdoors to process.


Besides blanching and freezing diced summer-squash and zucchini, we learned from our neighbor how to make chips from them. Elsa thinly slices and salts them well before dehydrating.


2 comments:

  1. your lifestyle is just so wonderful. living with dad and mom and such a heavenly sister as I'm sure Elsa is from all you say of her, and gardening, and communing with neighbours. it fills my heart with joy. i have always loved to garden, but have had no stable or convenient living place for gardening. I shall soon be relocating, however, and I have already collected seeds upon seeds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you are able to garden again soon, if not already this summer, ET!

    ReplyDelete