Saturday, August 25, 2018

An Easy Yoke


Photo: Wikimedia Commons*

"My Yoke is Easy"



**
The following quotations are from the devotional Quiet Moments on the Way Home
by H.E. Wisloff.

Take my yoke upon you (Matthew 11:29)

“The Christian's life is compared to a walk toward the goal.  But this walk is a walk under the yoke.

“Some see in this truth only darkness.  It reveals how heavy the Christian life must be, they say.  For the natural man, the yoke is truly a burden.”


Artwork: public domain

Have you viewed this yoke that Jesus offers as more of a burden than a relief? Despite His assurances in the surrounding verses, I long a sort of revulsion against the thought of being under a yoke. (There may have even been a vague picture in my mind of being locked in the pillory or stocks as a common criminal.)

In fact most examples of the word “yoke” in the Bible are negative. Out of about 60 uses of the Hebrew word “ol” in the English Standard Version (ESV) most are in the Old Testament, and those typically have connotations of restraint, subjection, slavery, and stooping under a heavy load. [Gen. 27:40, Lev. 26:13, 1Kings 12:4] Even oxen which had worked under a yoke could not qualify for sacrifices and religious purposes. [Num. 19:2, Deut. 21:3, 1 Sam. 6:7]

At times God uses circumstances as a yoke to discipline wayward people. [Isa. 47:6, Jer. 27-28, Hos. 10:10-11] Lamentations 3:27-28 goes so far as to say “It is good for a man to bear the yoke while he is young. Let him sit alone in silence, for the LORD has laid it on him.” As encouraging as are the surrounding verses in Lamentations 3, this yoke can still sound rather oppressive to me.

In the New Testament we see the yokes of physical slavery/servanthood [1 Tim. 6:1] and the unbearable load of manmade rules and pharisaical laws [Acts 15:10 & Gal. 5:1].

And yet, shining through the gloom is this one recorded instance where Jesus turns standard associations on their head and tells us about His yoke:

“Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”  Matthew 11:28-30 (ESV)

**“What is the yoke?

“It is that which unites.  The yoke makes me one with my yoke-mate.  To take up the yoke means to be in partnership with God.  His joys become my joys, His sorrows become mine, His tasks mine, and I am privileged to share His concern for souls.  

“Therefore yoke-bearing is to have part in the power of Christ, His peace and His joy.  No one can live more richly and blessedly.  The yoke is grace, because it gives rest.  "My yoke is easy," He whispers to the tired who accept the yoke along with Him.”

Obviously I should take Christ at His word and believe that His yoke would ease my burden and give me the rest I long for. But instead I too often resist His yoke, with the result that I am left helplessly trying to pull my own load.

In her delightful book, Farmer Boy, Laura Ingalls Wilder tells stories from her husband’s childhood in rural New York in the 1860s. Before he was allowed to own horses, Almanzo was given two young oxen and directed by his father how to train them. To do that, he had to custom-build a small, light yoke – meticulously shaping and smoothing the wood to perfectly fit his charges.

Think of that! If even faulty humans know how to make a yoke that will be perfectly suited to their dumb beasts, how much more does our loving God know how to craft our yokes to fit each of our lives?

When little Almanzo began driving his team, there were plenty of troubles. They wouldn’t work together! That resulted in some tangled messes in the ditch. The yoke would only work if the team faced the same direction and pulled together. As they listened and obeyed, they learned to turn in unison upon command. Then the work could go smoothly and pleasantly for boy and beasts.

This example and the devotional excerpts quoted above are completely changing the way I view Jesus’ yoke. When I keep this in mind, I can be at peace knowing that every circumstance He sends my way is perfectly shaped for me. But not if I try to meet them in my strength alone.

Not being a trained biblical scholar, I cannot say if this is a completely accurate interpretation… but I am greatly encouraged at picturing Jesus sharing His yoke with me by pulling together, side by side with me in the same yoke. No wonder every burden is lightened when I let Him share the weight! And when I am tempted to worry about the future, I can remember Who is beside me. He knows the way. I must just keep in step, follow when He turns, and wait patiently when He has me stop.

“And you will find rest for your souls.” 

* Photo: By Jvn1989 - Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=48572653
** Quiet Moments on the Way Home, devotional for October 26 by H.E. Wisloff.

No comments:

Post a Comment