Friday, June 16, 2017

Spring Voices

It seems rather late for nest building. 

The ambitious, local bald eagle pair has already hatched out a rare triple-brood and are doing their best to keep those three growing appetites well-fed. 

But our farm's pair of barn-swallows is still looking for a nest site. Even before our barn collapsed under heavy, wet snow several years ago, these lively birds regularly brought mud to attempt a nest over our front door.

This year is no exception. As I hang plastic grocery bags to flap around noisily under the porch eaves in an attempt to send our chattering pair to another nesting site, I remember the little ditty I composed 18 years ago... 

I can still picture the evening walk I was taking with my family. As usual, I was way out in front, so my prairie view was wide open as I marched straight between the fields on our little gravel road. Little birds (maybe swallows?!) were diving and singing over the fields, and overhead sailed a crescent moon. 

Little birds with a sweet, chirping voice
Pause in the twilight to rejoice.

Another day of work is done,
And the spring has just begun.

The next days with work are filled.
Many are the nests to build.

Gathering grass and twigs in their beaks
Is bound to fill many weeks.

But for now the moon shines high
In the ever darkening sky

Saying, "Time to settle down for rest,
So that on the morrow you may do your best."

-Hannah, 1999

Though an autumn sunset rather than spring moonrise,
this photo (taken on a drive home after teaching)
still looks similar to my walk that evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment