Sunday, January 6, 2019

According to Your Word

Psalm 119 used to seem daunting. Not only is it the longest psalm in the Bible, but it is also constantly pointing to God's law, statutes, commandments, precepts, rules... (We could call this the "thesaurus psalm.")

But a couple years ago I downloaded the nearly 18 minutes of audio from the Bible.is app. (*see below) Now Psalm 119 is a favorite to listen to when I need to be refreshed.

Let my cry come before you, O LORD;
give me understanding according to your word!
Let my plea come before you;
deliver me according to your word.
My lips will pour forth praise,
for you teach me your statutes.
My tongue will sing of your word,
for all your commandments are right.
Let your hand be ready to help me,
for I have chosen your precepts.
I long for your salvation, O LORD,
and your law is my delight.
Let my soul live and praise you,
and let your rules help me.
I have gone astray like a lost sheep; seek your servant,
for I do not forget your commandments.

Psalm 119:169-176 (ESV)

"O that these holy resolutions and pious breathings were entirely my own! Adored be the never-failing mercy of God! He has made my happiness to depend, not on the uncertain connexions of this life, but upon his own most blessed self,-- a portion that never faileth."

- Henry Martyn (see this earlier post)



*Check out Bible.is for an app that has blessed Elsa and me so much in these years when reading can be hard or impossible.

No comments:

Post a Comment