Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Why So Sad?

           
Each year I try to build a snowman.

This began well before my namesake, Anna, 
in Disney's Frozen sang to her sister Elsa, 
"Do you want to build a snowman?"
(Yes, we have fun with those characters 
being named "after" us.)

I never know how it will turn out when I begin. 
Last year's turned into Snoopy. (More pictures here)



This year's snowman surprised me, and it still surprises anyone who drives in our yard.

As I stood looking at the sticky snow while just out for a little fresh air one evening, I saw the fences around the rose bushes holding in their blanket of leaves. And somehow, I pictured a snowman inside the fence. 

So I began with the traditional 3-ball structure. Next I added a nose, which ended up big and round. That led to big ears. Then the head needed to be pointy and the body shaped more like a man's. 

By this time I knew I was building an "Earthman" from C.S. Lewis' book The Silver Chair from the Chronicles of Narnia. He needed a sad expression as he grips the fences in his hands. Not that the Earthmen were imprisoned by visible fences or bars. But they were imprisoned by the invisible power of the evil ruler of Underworld.


                      


After finishing this creature, I strolled down the driveway and thought about all the people around me who live like Earthmen. 

They are sad and hopeless -- prisoners of a darkness they can feel but can't understand. They have no knowledge of the true nature of things: that they were created for a joyful life in a beautiful land ruled by their loving Creator. The fact is hidden from them that this dark world in which they find themselves is not their real home. 

They are slaves to the will of the evil ruler of this land and have no way in themselves to break free. They need to know the amazing truth that One came to break the spell and set us free! 

Why are you cast down, O my soul, 
and why are you in turmoil within me? 
Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, 
my salvation and my God. 
Psalm 42:11

The people walking in darkness
    have seen a great light;
on those living in the land of deep darkness
    a light has dawned.
Isaiah 9:2

"But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: 
While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." 
Romans 5:8

When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, 
“I am the light of the world. 
Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness
but will have the light of life.”
John 8:12

...to open their eyes and turn them from darkness to light, 
and from the power of Satan to God, 
so that they may receive forgiveness of sins 
and a place among those who are sanctified 
by faith in me [Jesus].’ 
Acts 26:18

No comments:

Post a Comment