Saturday, February 4, 2017

Do You Want to Build a Snowman?

Surprisingly, much of our December was too cold to play in the snow. Not that you couldn't be out there skiing or snowshoeing with the right gear, but the snow simply won't stick together when it's too cold.

Such as... 27 degrees below zero, Fahrenheit!


But one day in January the sun came out and the air was well above zero. So I reached out the porch door with my bare hands and built a little snowman!


Later in the month, we had a very slushy day. While out for a little fresh air in the evening, the snow became irresistible.


Though I began with a traditional, three-balled snowman in mind, it eventually changed into none other than "Snoopy." Or is it his chubbier brother, Olaf? [That thought brought much amusement in our home due to "Elsa's" snowman with that name. Disney has forever changed our associations with those names...]


Part of the fun of building my snow-dog was that it was the first time I really put my wool mittens to the test.


These are the very first pair of Norwegian mittens I made a couple years ago. Now I have made around twenty pair!


Guess what! You can see how wet the slush was from which I shaped "SnOlaf," but not a drop of moisture reached my hands. God's creation of wool is amazing! It just got even cosier and warmer as the slush and rubbing motions helped to gently felt my mittens.

No comments:

Post a Comment