Monday, December 20, 2021

We Expected Some Other Good

Not all books I want to read (or re-read) are in the public domain. So I am thankful for the audiobook/ebook apps available through my local libraries.

This fall I came back to the following C.S. Lewis - years after my first reading. It was just as good the second time, despite a few Lewis quirks!



"I am beginning to feel that we need a preliminary act of submission not only towards possible future afflictions but also towards possible future blessings. I know it sounds fantastic; but think it over. It seems to me that we often, almost sulkily, reject the good that God offers us because, at that moment, we expected some other good. Do you know what I mean?... God shows us a new facet of the glory, and we refuse to look at it because we're still looking for the old one."

Letters to Malcolm - Chiefly on Prayer by C.S. Lewis
[Excerpt from letter about the phrase "Thy will be done" in the Lord's Prayer]

No comments:

Post a Comment