Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Trim My Sails

Some more sailing thoughts...
from George MacDonald's Diary of an Old Soul:



Doubt swells and surges, with swelling doubt behind!
My soul in storm is but a tattered sail,
Streaming its ribbons on the torrent gale;
In calm, 'tis but a limp and flapping thing:
Oh, swell it with thy breath; make it a wing,
To sweep through thee the ocean, with thee the wind
Nor rest until in thee its haven it shall find.

'Tis--shall thy will be done for me--or mine,
And I be made a thing not after thine--
My own, and dear in paltriest details?
Shall I be born of God, or of mere man?
Be made like Christ, or on some other plan?
I let all run--set thou and trim my sails;
Home then my course, let blow whatever gales.

- entries from January 12th and February 21st

No comments:

Post a Comment