Monday, December 11, 2017

Mourning with Hope

As I mentioned in my previous post, hospice came to help us make Dorothy more comfortable as her body started shutting down. We were all surprised and saddened that it went so quickly. But we also see God's hand at work through all the details and timing.


In less than a week I got a call just as I finished teaching a few lessons. 
"Dorothy is having seizures. I think you should come home."
I hope never to make that three mile drive so quickly again...

A hospital bed from hospice made her last days easier.

But what a sweet answer to prayer to have our whole family plus Dorothy's oldest brother around her in her last hour! And after getting past the seizures, she went so peacefully... another big answer to prayer. 

Oh, how we miss our little girl! Though Dad's sister and my aunt, we all felt more like she was our "baby" as she increasingly declined through seven years of Alzheimer's and seizures. And yet we do not mourn as those who have no hope. (I Thessalonians 4:13) We are so glad for Dorothy's sake that she is free from years of suffering and a lifetime of disabilities - clothed in a new and perfect body. And we wonder how she is beginning eternity in heaven... is she talking and singing and dancing non-stop?! I look forward to a big hug from her again when Jesus takes me home too!


It has also been good to start looking back at pictures and remembering the Dorothy of old. What an adorable and lively character she looked when growing up! And even the past five years of photos that I can find on my computer show much enjoyment of life. 

Eating out - 2013
Flipping methodically through a favorite book - 2013

4th of July, 2013

A sticker earned for being brave at the lab, 2014

Dorothy loved balloons and taught us to as well! - 2014

Sporting new shoes - 2015

Did I mention Dorothy loved balloons?!! - 2016

Making a happy face at a piano recital - May 2016

Coming home asleep from her
last day at "work" - June 2016

Dorothy's own van was such a help.
She could still join us on family outings.

Pondering what to have for breakfast... Cheerios!

Stuffed animals were often comforting. - 2017

Read-aloud time was the best! Even in Norwegian :-) - 2017

I should scan some of her childhood pictures to share sometime too...

No comments:

Post a Comment