Tuesday, February 14, 2017

XOXO

I've long known that the letters "X" and "O" are used to add "love" in written English. But I guess I never know really knew why... or what they specifically stood for.


So, who should I ask, but an online search engine? Thanks to the Urban Dictionary, I am informed that "X" denotes a kiss and "O" a hug.

My curiosity still not satisfied, I search further, and Wikipedia fills in some background:
The common custom of placing "X" on envelopes, notes and at the bottom of letters to mean kisses dates back to the Middle Ages, when a Christian cross was drawn on documents or letters to mean sincerity, faith, and honesty. A kiss was then placed upon the cross by the signer as a display of their sworn oath. It was also used in early Christian history as much of a display of the same.
Whether or not that is the true source, I like that! After all, the cross of Christ was the place of ultimate love.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life."  John 3:16
And then back to Wikipedia:
There is speculation on the internet from at least one original source that the 'O' is...

Well, that sounds rather iffy. I'll think I'll wait for a more reputable source. :-)

But I can picture the circle representing how we want to surround someone with a hug.

As wonderful as a human hug is, how about being surrounded with an infinite, unfailing love?!

"the LORD'S unfailing love surrounds the man who trusts in Him."
Psalm 32:10

Now that's a HUG! 

Happy Valentine's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment