Thursday, November 3, 2016

Learning to Bake Again

Working in the kitchen is so different now with all the strange ingredients we have to use (and all the normal ingredients we have to avoid.) But I am slowly gaining confidence and new skills. And Elsa is great at researching recipes and getting ingredients on hand. (As, of course, she is great at everything in the kitchen!)

Just before I resumed teaching responsibilities in September, I made use of a little extra strength to try some new recipes.

With the Labor Day holiday at hand, a long-lost treat came to mind: marshmallows roasted over the campfire.

So, it was time to try making that sweet, gooey treat again... this time from honey. 





It worked!



While we still can't take this much "sweet" very often, it is a special treat in our own versions of "hot-chocolate." (Cocoa and salt in rice drink for me and carob in coconut milk for Elsa.)



We also tried roasting them over the campfire at the lake. And it does work to some extent. But it would be better tucked into a s'more. Maybe next year I can try that cracker recipe Elsa found!



Another kitchen experiment involved testing the possibility of adding eggs back to my diet. My allergy doctor explained how to ease in carefully. 

First try... baked oatmeal again. Yumm!!

No comments:

Post a Comment