Monday, January 25, 2016

A Verse for the Year: 2014

With the verse for 2013 still ringing through my heart and mind, 2014 brought the choice of a new verse. I believe God pointed out not one, but two passages that He knew I would be needing through the incredible challenges of the year ahead. The first was:

"I am still confident of this:
I will see the goodness of the LORD
in the land of the living.
Wait for the LORD;
be strong and take heart
and wait for the LORD."
Psalm 27:13-14

Early in the year I remember walking the driveway speaking these verses aloud; almost sternly commanding my heart to believe the truth despite all feelings.

In the months ahead, Elsa and I had no choice but to wait. We hardly had strength to get off the couch. How could we be strong? Where was that goodness? And yet God over and over gave just enough grace to rest in Him one more day - then to make it through one more long night.

I can't begin to describe the weakness, pain, loss, and loneliness we faced... are still facing. I still can't see the big picture. But I keep watching for His daily goodness in my life.

One instance was in 2014 when a friend sent those very verses without knowing I had claimed them for the year. 


Besides the encouragement from Psalm 27, I was also struck by Paul's words in II Corinthians 4:16-18. The Apostle Paul, who knew so much of suffering...

"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day.

"For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all.


"So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal."


Where will we fix our eyes this year? On the troubles which clamor for the attention of all our senses? Or on the unseen, eternal truth of God?

(Also see Verses for the Years: 2013, 2015)

No comments:

Post a Comment