Saturday, August 6, 2016

A Verse for the Year: 2015

In 2013 (here and here) and 2014 (here), I picked a verse or two to focus on through the year.

Then in 2015 I ended up with a whole chapter! Psalm 40 spoke truth to me in different ways throughout the year as I memorised and mulled it over. I will include the whole chapter below with just a few of the ways it spoke to me. And may God use His word to meet you where you are... this year.


I waited patiently for the LORD; 
   he turned to me and heard my cry.
He lifted me out of the slimy pit,
   out of the mud and mire; 
he set my feet on a rock
   and gave me a firm place to stand.

Some days these verses were a prayer of praise - as for the psalmist. Other days they turned into a prayer of agony from the bottom of the slimy pit - knowing God would once again turn, hear, and lift me out to set my feet on a rock. Then I would be praising Him once again.

He put a new song in my mouth, 
   a hymn of praise to our God.
Many will see and fear
   and put their trust in the LORD.

These verses were key to my starting this blog - along with some below.

Blessed is the man
   who makes the LORD his trust,
who does not look to the proud,
   to those who turn aside to false gods.
Many, O LORD my God,
   are the wonders you have done.
The things you planned for us
   no one can recount to you;
were I to speak and tell of them,
   they would be too many to declare.

Even in the times when I couldn't see God's wonders in my life currently, I could look back and remember them throughout history - from the Creation on. And in a way, my counting of God's little, daily gifts (see previous post) helps me renew that awe.

Sacrifice and offering you did not desire,
   but my ears you have pierced;
burnt offerings and sin offerings 
   you did not require.
Then I said, "Here I am, I have come - 
   it is written about me in the scroll.
I desire to do your will, O my God;
   your law is within my heart."

I proclaim righteousness in the great assembly;
   I do not seal my lips,
   as you know, O LORD.
I do not hide your righteousness in my heart;
   I speak of your faithfulness and salvation.
I do not conceal your love and your truth
   from the great assembly.

May this blog live this out in some small way.

Do not withhold your mercy from me, O LORD;
   may your love and your truth always protect me.
For troubles without number surround me;
   my sins have overtaken me, and I cannot see.
They are more than the hairs of my head,
   and my heart fails within me.

The psalmist gives us more prayers in which to join him.

Be pleased, O LORD, to save me;
   O LORD, come quickly to help me.
May all who seek to take my life 
   be put to shame and confusion;
may all who desire my ruin
   be turned back in disgrace.
May those who say to me, "Aha! Aha!"
   be appalled at their own shame.

Now look at the shift in focus with the "But..."

But may all who seek you 
   rejoice and be glad in you;
may those who love your salvation always say,
   "The LORD be exalted!"

And one more shift in the last verses makes this psalm so human and accessible.

Yet I am poor and needy;
   may the Lord think of me.
You are my help and my deliverer;
   O my God, do not delay.

New International Version 2002

No comments:

Post a Comment