Monday, June 3, 2019

My Father's World, III - Honeysuckle Days

In such a late spring, I don't think the honeysuckle bushes on the western border of our land have blossomed yet. And our hardy honeysuckle vine is always later than those. At least that gave me time to tackle the much needed trim we only manage every few years. (For an online picture that looks like our Lonicera in bloom, search "John Clayton Climbing Honeysuckle Vine.")


There is no "before" picture, but the wheelbarrow ended up even more full than in the picture above - showing how very much dead vine was ready to be cleaned off the fence rails. I even made a rustic wreath from the twisted strands.

An old bird's nest was tucked away in the middle of the mass - thankfully empty when I had to tear it out. 


The rose bushes at the other end of the fence can now breathe again as well. And a little heart's ease surprised me with its colorful smile as I pulled away dead leaves and grass.


"This is my Father's world,
O let me ne'er forget
That though the wrong seems oft so strong,
God is the Ruler yet.

This is my Father's world:
Why should my heart be sad?
The Lord is King: let the heavens ring!
God reigns: let earth be glad!"

Maltbie D. Babcock, 1901

ADDED LATER: 
Here are the honeysuckle blossoms in July.



No comments:

Post a Comment