Thursday, March 9, 2017

Winter Light

Sunshine is rare enough in our northern winters that it makes an amazing difference whenever it shows up. Just recently I was struck afresh by how much more detail is set off and made clear when the sunlight hits that which we are seeing.

That reminded me of how many times God's Word talks about Light. I'll share a few of those verses today along with some photos from a sunny, snowy day earlier this winter.



Your word is a lamp to my feet,
    and a light for my path.
Psalm 119:105


Snow-covered, green kale

God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light.
Genesis 1:3

A bright red crab-apple freeze-drying on the garden bench

Yahweh went before them by day in a pillar of cloud, 
to lead them on their way,
 and by night in a pillar of fire, to give them light
that they might go by day and by night

Exodus 13:21

Tiny ice chunk caught in grape-vine


Many say, “Who will show us any good?”
Yahweh, let the 
light of your face shine on us.

Psalm 4:6 

Curls of grape-vine tendrils hanging onto ice


For with you is the spring of life.
In your 
light shall we see light.

Psalm 36:9 

A loyal dog


The entrance of your words gives light.
It gives understanding to the simple.

Psalm 119:130 

A few last, dried and frozen grapes waiting for the birds

I will bring the blind by a way that they don’t know. 
I will lead them in paths that they don’t know. 
I will make darkness light before them, and crooked places straight. 
I will do these things, and I will not forsake them.
Isaiah 42:16 

Tiny tree and long shadows
 Jesus spoke to them, saying, “I am the light of the world. 
He who follows me will not walk in the darkness, 
but will have the light of life.”
John 8:12



In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made through him. Without him was not anything made that has been made. In him was life, and the life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness hasn’t overcome it. 
John 1:1-5

Asparagus acting as a snow-fence
They will see his face, and his name will be on their foreheads. 
There will be no night, and they need no lamp light; 
for the Lord God will illuminate them. 
They will reign forever and ever.
Revelation 22:4-5

No comments:

Post a Comment