Saturday, March 25, 2017

Norwegian Mittens

Back in the winter of 2015 I attempted what I had previously said "I could never do" - knit and design patterns in two colors.


When you find a free pattern for a pair of mittens so like those made by your relatives in Norway... how can you resist?!


After first knitting a plain, single-color pair of mittens to make sure I could even handle that, I dug out a book to teach me the intricacies of weaving and stranding. 


Not too long after making a couple test swatches, I was wearing my very first pair of Norwegian mittens.


Which, by the way, are great in the snow!


That was so much fun that I soon decided to develop my own patterns.


There has been lots of ripping out and knitting backwards through the process. And even a couple of flops.



But after more than twenty pair, I can't wait to incorporate more and more new designs!


From toddler to my Dad's size large...


... the knitting goes on. But, I have no use for all those mittens, so it is also fun to find other people wanting to warm their hands by way of Elsa's Etsy shop!


That means I can continue the joy of trying out new ideas... when I have yarn available, that is.


Obviously winter is a popular time of year to knit with this beautiful, soft, American wool. I had to wait four months for my colors to come back in stock.


Now I am back in business!

No comments:

Post a Comment