Thursday, February 17, 2022

The Lord Shut Him In

Let’s time-travel today. Instead of this being 2022 A.D., we are in the 600th year of Noah’s life.

Which Noah? The Noah born about 1,056 years after God created Adam (assuming Adam’s age-count began then – even though he was an adult). Since life spans were so much longer before the Flood this was only the 10th generation of mankind.

Isn’t it sobering to realize that only 10 generations after creation, sin was already so hopelessly out of control that God determined not to put up with it any longer? I just realized that it was even less than two of Adam’s life-spans - from his creation to the Flood. (Thus all the days that Adam lived were 930 years, and he died. Genesis 5:5)

The history record in Genesis 6 paints the picture of Noah’s time briefly, but strongly: “The LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intention of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.” (emphasis mine)

“And the LORD regretted that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him to his heart…. But Noah found favor in the eyes of the LORD.”

There is so much to ponder in these verses, but I am going to refrain and go in one specific direction today.

Remember that we are now in the 600th year of Noah’s life. He has already spent decades working and preparing in faith that God would do what He said and wipe out every life of man and beast on the land – except those who would be saved in the ark. Again, we could learn much from those 120 years. But the time has come...


Seven days ago God told Noah, “Go into the ark, you and all your household, for I have seen that you are righteous before me in this generation. … For in seven days I will send rain on the earth… and every living thing that I have made I will blot out from the face of the ground.” (Gen. 7:1,4)

So why am I thinking about this, today of all days? Because of the date: 2.17

Notice Genesis 7:11: “In the six hundredth year of Noah’s life, in the second month, on the seventeenth day of the month, on that day all the fountains of the great deep burst forth, and the windows of the heavens were opened.”

I do realize the calendar has changed, and Noah was not likely a New Year’s baby. But this is the closest I can get to picturing what Noah and his family went through when “the LORD shut him in.”

Already in 2022, I have been struck by the many accounts we have of God’s people being “set aside” or “shut in.” Many for years at a time.

Many of us can relate. (And I’m not talking about lockdowns, either.)

So I thought I would try to take notice of the length of this unique and lonely boat-ride as I continue to ponder God’s ways...

…and God’s faithfulness.

Want to join me? I’ll probably post status updates about Noah’s time on the ark from time to time.

Next Post in this Series:
Part II: Day 10: The Animals


Ark Photo by Lucas Dial on Unsplash

No comments:

Post a Comment