Tuesday, September 28, 2021

The Door in the Wall

What a sweet, little book I last read from my nephew’s collection!

How often do we feel like we have just hit a wall? The way we thought we were supposed to go is blocked. Our hopes are dashed. We can’t go forward, so what can we do?!

In the imagery of this book… keep walking along the wall until you find a door.


"'Each of us has his place in the world,’ he said. ‘If we cannot serve in one way, there is always another. If we do what we are able, a door always opens to something else.'"

The Door in the Wall by Marguerite De Angeli

Or, as Elisabeth Elliot put it: 

"Do the next thing."


And one more quote that I shared two years ago:

"And when she could no longer hope, she did not stand still but walked on in the dark. I think when the sun rises upon them, some people will be astonished to find how far they have got on in the dark."

Paul Faber by George MacDonald

[P.S. - Paul Faber is in the process of being recorded by a group of volunteers over at LibriVox.org. Want to join us?!]

2 comments:

  1. The narrative of George MacDonald is how I became acquainted with your work, while on long runs. It is a gift you have. I will look forward to Paul Faber.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this encouragement! When I feel overwhelmed by the other solo MacDonald project I am slowly recording (with many re-takes and edits of the intense Broad Saxon dialect), listeners such as you spur me on.

      Delete