Monday, August 23, 2021

Slipper Weather

After another hot (and smoky) spell, we suddenly dropped from 90's to 70's. Time to pull out the wool slippers again.



With constant use for 7-8 months of the year, my homemade pairs are wearing out. So it was fun to get a new pair for my birthday. What makes it even more special is getting to know a little bit about the woman who made them way over in Azerbaijan.

[Visit https://www.azerbaijanisocks.com/ to browse the selection and meet the makers.]


I can picture Illaha knitting her beautiful slippers as I knit my mittens. There is a kinship among knitters that helps us cheer each other on and understand how much this little bit of income means when much other work is not available or accessible to us.



Fun fact: More than 10 years ago I met a woman from Azerbaijan at the Summer Institute of Linguistics. Before we started visiting, she had thought I may be Azerbaijani!

No comments:

Post a Comment