Saturday, April 24, 2021

The Wing of a Moth

Golden Emperer moth

"Young people," she said solemnly, "if your studying science and the elements has ever led you to feel that things just happen, kind of evolve by chance, as it were, this sight will be good for you. ...it takes the wisdom of the Almighty God to devise the wing of a moth."

Luna moth

It takes the wisdom
of the Almighty God to
devise the wing of a moth.

· A Girl of the Limberlost
  by Gene Stratton-Porter

 

 

While written in a very different tone than most books I choose, A Girl of the Limberlost by American writer and naturalist Gene Stratton-Porter (1909) has really grown on me. So much so that I have now read it (via audiobooks) three times. Most lately Elsa and I enjoyed it while living outdoors in Florida. Its descriptions of creation helped open our eyes even more to our surroundings. And the heroine, Elnora, was a good example to help me deal with the resident snakes! ;-)


Life along the Limberlost swamps of eastern Indiana was not easy for Elnora. Her mother was bitter and half-crazed from trauma in her past. She took her pain out on her daughter in harshness and neglect. And yet Elnora grew in strength, sweetness, and faith - thanks in part to her time spent in God's creation. 

Spoiler alert!...


Even her mother cannot remain untouched by Elnora's love and God's world!

"Help me to learn, even this late, the lessons of Your wonderful creations. Help me to unshackle and expand my soul to the fullest realization of Your wonders. Almighty God, make me bigger, make me broader!"
[Elnora's mother, while watching a moth unfurl]

Luna moth

A small moth on our front door

All moth photos except the last one are from Wikimedia Commons.

No comments:

Post a Comment