Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Walking Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death

It seems this has been a season of finishing reading book after book. But those seasons must eventually come when one is in the middle of reading at least ten titles at the same time. 😁

Phillip Keller's book, A Shepherd Looks at Psalm 23, is another worth re-reading regularly. Even for those without my background of growing up with sheep and lambs on our hobby-farm, the rich personal experience and vivid descriptions of this rugged shepherd catch the imagination and open up fresh depth and breadth of meaning in an "overly"-familiar psalm.

The following excerpt is especially meaningful as we lost another friend today. There is no doubt he is enjoying "higher ground" as he left behind a body shattered by ALS. God's grace was obvious even in the gentle release he had after such a hard battle. But we mourn with those "who remain on earth"... as Mr. Keller wrote:

"The Lord is my shepherd...
Even though I walk through
the valley of the shadow of death,

    I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;

"Every mountain has its valleys. Its sides are scarred by deep ravines and gulches and draws. And the best route to the top is always along these valleys.


"Any sheepman familiar with the high country knows this. He leads his flock gently, but persistently up the paths that wind through the dark valleys. ... It does not say I die there, or stop there - but rather "I walk through." ... It is not something to fear, but an experience through which one passes on the path to a more perfect life.


"The Good Shepherd knows this. It is one reason why He has told us, "Lo, I am with you alway" - yes, even in the valley of death. What a comfort and what a cheer. 


"I was keenly aware of this consolation when my wife went to "higher ground." For two years we had walked through the dark valley of death watching her beautiful body being destroyed by cancer. As death approached I sat by her bed, her hand in mine. Gently we "passed" through the valley of death. Both of us were quietly aware of Christ's presence. There was no fear - just a going on to higher ground.


"For those of us who remain on earth, there is still a life to live here and now. There are still valleys to walk through during our remaining days. These need not be "dead end" streets. The disappointments, the frustrations, the discouragements, the dilemmas, the dark, difficult days, though they be shadowed valleys, need not be disasters. They can be the road to higher ground in our walk with God. ...


"Again and again I remind myself, "O God, this seems terribly tough, but I know for a fact that in the end it will prove to be the easiest and gentlest way to get me onto higher ground." Then when I thank Him for the difficult things, the dark days, I discover that He is there with me in my distress. At that point my panic, my fear, my misgivings give way to calm and quiet confidence in His care. Somehow, in a serene quiet way I am assured all will turn out well for my best because He is with me in the valley and things are under His control."

No comments:

Post a Comment