Sunday, April 9, 2017

Audio Church

It is Sunday again. A day set aside. A day of rest. The Lord's day. A day dedicated ever since the church of the first century for meeting together with other children of God.

And Elsa and I are at home on the couch. We have been for many months of Sunday mornings. I would say we are home "alone." But we are not alone. Jesus is here with us just as much as He was when we were able to consistently gather with our local church family. "For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there I am in the middle of them.” - Jesus (in Matthew 18:20)

This isn't ideal. As the apostle Paul reminded the believers in Hebrews 10:
24 Let us consider how to provoke one another to love and good works, 25 not forsaking our own assembling together, as the custom of some is, but exhorting one another; and so much the more, as you see the Day approaching.

But this is reality in broken bodies in a fallen creation.

And so we gather on our couch each Sunday morning. And Dorothy parks nearby in her wheelchair. She may as well nap at home as at church now that sleep is taking over the majority of her days.

For a couple of years Elsa and I would choose for our morning "sermon" a podcast from a number of good Bible teachers or pastors online. But this year I started sending my audio recorder to church with Mom and Dad. Sometime during the week I edit the file (trim excess and level the volume) to be ready to hear a week late. Another house-bound friend from church has gotten in on this as well.

Waveform of a Sunday message in my audio editing program
It is good to have this connection to our church family again... to be learning from the Scripture along with them - even if we rarely see them these years.

No comments:

Post a Comment