Friday, December 16, 2016

First Heel

A quarter of a century into my knitting career, and a year after I first began this sock, I finally knit my first heel!


This "accomplishment" pales as I remember an excerpt from a cosy book by Winola Wells Wirt, called Of All Places. This is from the chapter where she is spending some months living in Scotland where her husband was studying...

"Sometimes Mrs. Stewart would sit in the study and knit and chat with me after the men had left for the classes at New College. ... My landlady actually started me knitting, and I eventually turned out a pair of heavy socks for my husband. I was told that it was a lazy Scotswoman who didn't knit a full sock in the dark while attending a concert or play. She could also be counted on to carry the knitting bag on tram or bus - everywhere except to Sunday church."

I doubt I'll be knitting a sock in the dark anytime soon, but I don't dread the next heel any longer!

No comments:

Post a Comment