Friday, June 10, 2016

A Friend and her Piano

How special to spend an afternoon visiting with an old friend this spring and to make the acquaintance of her beautiful, new-to-her, grand piano!


First I asked to hear her play so we could enjoy the piano's voice under the fingers of one who knew and loved it. She brought out the sweet pathos of "Father's Favorite" from the "Sense and Sensibility" video we first saw nearly 20 years ago. Then a Southern Gospel arrangement of a hymn rumbled the rich bass and set our toes tapping.

Next, Elsa and I had a bit of fun!


We tried a duet of "Heart and Soul" and remembered the many hours we spent together at the piano in childhood - improvising our own "masterpieces."
I also played a favorite from my well-worn book of Edvard Grieg's Lyric Pieces. A sweet song with a sparkling surprise in the middle has the sad name of "Homesickness." When I once played it in Russia, I thought of my home here. Now it can make me homesick for Russia.

Or we can just enjoy the beauty and creativity of the rich harmonies and sweet melodies - especially on a friend's new piano. We are so happy for her!!

No comments:

Post a Comment