Monday, April 25, 2016

Mittens in Two Colors

As mentioned in my last post, knitting really didn't make sense to me until fighting through the making of a wool lace scarf in 2014. Then I settled for easy knitting a while longer - lap blankets. It is so nice to have a "mindless" project sitting around for the hours when brain and eyes are weary but fingers are antsy.



                 


A couple of years ago I watched a cousin design a beautiful afghan with Nordic-inspired designs in two-color knitting (colorwork). 

I remember thinking, "I'd never be able to do that!" But in the autumn of 2015 Elsa found a free pattern for Norwegian mittens. Who can resist "free"?!

So, I dug out a handwork book and some scrap yarn to learn colorwork and continental knitting.



And the rest is history...

       

This cosy pair - along with mittens our parents bought in Norway years ago - have inspired Elsa and me to design our own lines of children's mittens - all wool and each double-thick for winter warmth.

A few of Elsa's designs are already in her Etsy shop and we are working on more designs and colors for the autumn.



No comments:

Post a Comment