Saturday, December 12, 2015

Christmas Memories: Piano Salon

Last night was a milestone in my healing process.  It was the first time in nearly two years that I have made a round trip drive of more than three miles, and it was in the dark.  (An extra neurological challenge.)  Praising God for slow but steady progress!

The point of that drive was another milestone - the first Piano Salon I have made it to in a full year. 


Piano Salon - December 2014
This cosy group of local pianists gets together every other month to play for each other.  The atmosphere is so relaxed and encouraging for all from adult beginners to professional performers.  We come away inspired and with an even greater love for music.  Plus, it keeps us at the disciplines of practicing and performing.

And, we can't forget the good visits over a meal following the music.
Piano Salon - December 2014
Last evening's conversation kept coming back to one special name.  Ruth (or "Ruthie") was missing this year.  Her last salon was December of 2014.  Though struggling with dementia to the point of sometimes being unable to recognize the pages of Chopin, Grieg, etc. that she used to play as easily as she breathed, our friend could never forget her amazing skill of improvising her favorite hymns.

Little did I know this would be the last time I would hear Ruth play (or see her great smile, enjoy her quirky humor, and hear her call everyone "Honey"), but I am so glad I got these few photos and video on my phone.  Ruth is one of the women I want to be like "when I grow up."

Enjoy a bit of Christmas with "Ruthie" - playing as we got ready for our Christmas potluck.  



"Music is God's best gift to man;
The only art of heaven given to earth,
The only art of earth we take to heaven."  
Walter Savage Lander 

No comments:

Post a Comment