Thursday, December 3, 2020

Abiding Joy

'Tis the season for warm, wool stocking caps!

 

Last year I decided to design my own hat to combine a couple of motifs with some verses I had been memorizing.



First was the Viking runic letter "wunjo/wynn," which means JOY. (I learned this, of all places, from a plaque on the wall of my favorite, small-town hospital lab. Being mostly Norwegian, it caught my interest.)

Next was the delicate vine pattern from a sweater in Kofteboken 2. 
[published by Sandvik&Samsoe, 2015]

And finally, the verses:

"I am the vine, you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. 

As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Abide in my love. If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in His love. 

These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full."

John 15:5, 9-11


Can you see why I named this hat design Abiding Joy?

No comments:

Post a Comment