Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Maybe some tea?

Every time I walked through the door, a Russian friend who was just learning English would end his greeting with a big smile and the inviting words, "Maybe some tea?" Then off to the kitchen where an electric kettle was always ready to boil at a moment's notice, thanks to twice the voltage I was used to back home.




Of course, the invitation included not only tea, but also the optional sugar or honey, a variety of lovely Russian crackers or cookies (rarely very sweet), and conversation. Where his English and my Russian words didn't come so readily, smiles, drawings, and a dictionary filled in the gaps.

And tea was not just for the morning and afternoon visits or breaks in the staff room, it also followed every meal. Yes, my doctor friend taught how it aids digestion (unlike cold pop, which doesn't allow you to digest meats and fats...), but I see even more value in this tradition.

Slowing down. Taking time to enjoy each other, to breathe, to listen, to release tensed muscles, to think, to enjoy the view... even just to warm cold fingers on a warm mug.

How often do we rush through a meal and on to the next thing as if we just put on fuel at a gas station, paid at the pump, and raced off - defying any red lights to slow us down? This post was actually inspired by noticing my bad habit of jumping up to move on before I even finished chewing or swallowing breakfast.

So, I remembered.

And made a cup of tea.  Which I will now sit... and enjoy.

Want to join me?!

"Russian Tea Company"

No comments:

Post a Comment